10AM Update - The Shelter-In-Place order has been lifted for Balboa HS and Denman MS, all students safe.
SAN FRANCISCO -- A shelter-in-place order was in effect for two schools Monday morning as utility crews responded to a natural gas leak in the city's Outer Mission neighborhood, a fire department spokeswoman said.
Just after 9 a.m., a 2-inch natural gas line ruptured near Balboa High School at 1000 Cayuga Avenue and James Denman Middle School located at 241 Oneida Ave., San Francisco Fire Lt. Mindy Talmadge said.
PG&E crews are at the scene and hope to have the leak capped by about 10 a.m., Talmadge said.
The fire department issued a precautionary shelter-in-place warning for the two schools while repairs were being made, Talmadge said.
Nearby homes and businesses were not affected by the shelter-in-place advisory, Talmadge said. Copyright 2011 by KTVU.com and Bay City News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.