How to be happy? Ask these high school students

By Jill Tucker | SF Chronicle

Friends. Family. Music. Money. Health. Dogs.

Students at Thurgood Marshall High School in San Francisco are happy about a lot of things in their lives, sharing their good feelings on a tree of happiness Thursday to celebrate the United Nations International Day of Happiness.

The International Day of Happiness tree at Thurgood Marshall High School

Zucaru Ruth, a senior, was so happy she wore heels to school — a rare-but-beloved wardrobe choice given the three flights of stairs she climbs up and down at school each day.

“I’m also happy to be who I am because I know who I am,” she said.

With a little prodding she shared who she is: “Very intelligent, smart, open-minded, I would say outgoing, a leader. I can say enthusiastic.”

And definitely happy.

Students spread the happiness, writing what makes them happy on the tree’s leaves. As the day wore on, the paper tree filled with those leaves.

“I woke up on the good side,” said 11th grader Kashee Tausi, 16. “It’s a pretty day and I’m looking good; we get out early.” On her leaves, she wrote “family,” “me,” “my friends,” “my dog,” and “the world.”

Students and staff at Thurgood Marshall High School and their tree of happiness.

The effort, coordinated by peer resources teacher Neelam Patil, shifted the entire mood of school, students and staff said.

“I think, as human beings, the tendency is there are 10 positives to each negative and we focus on the negative,” Patil said. “When they start talking about what they’re happy about they get happy.”

– Jill Tucker