These tests measure students’ ability to think critically, synthesize material from multiple sources, and analyze problems. They are aligned to our curriculum and standards, which prepare students for success beyond high school. They go beyond multiple-choice questions and ask students to explain their reasoning and use evidence in writing prompts and math tasks in order to demonstrate that they understand the content.
Results from the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments:
- Provide students with experience in using technology, explaining their reasoning and applying classroom lessons
- Give parents and guardians a sense of what areas their children excel in and which ones have room for growth
- Serve as a tool to help parents, guardians and teachers work together to improve students’ learning
- Get tips on how to use your children’s test results to help them succeed
- Help our schools and SFUSD identify strengths and areas that need improvement in our educational programs
- Provide the public and policymakers with information about student achievement and progress
If you have questions about your child’s participation, please contact your school site administrator.
Photo of study materials from Sourabh, CC BY-NC-ND 2.0