Honoring African American & Black Graduates: SFUSD's 5th Annual College Signing Day

This Saturday, June 6 at 11:30am, the SFUSD African American Parent Advisory Council (AAPAC) in partnership with the African American Achievement and Leadership Initiative (AAALI) will host the 5th Annual African American College Signing Day to honor graduating African American/Black high school seniors across San Francisco.

Although the event will be held online this year, students will still have the opportunity to share their future plans after graduating and be celebrated by their families, friends, teachers and mentors in a virtual ceremony. Organizers have also coordinated for the College Signing Day ceremony to lead into the Reach Higher Virtual Commencement Celebration, a national online ceremony hosted by Former First Lady Michelle Obama featuring many special guests including Former President Barack Obama.

Mauricha Robinson has been part of the group organizing the Annual African American College Signing Day for the past 5 years while also serving as the Family Liaison at Dr. George Washington Carver Elementary School and as an active member of AAPAC. Her daughter is among the graduates being honored, and she says although this year’s event has changed the purpose remains the same.

“College Signing Day is a chance to showcase our babies, to show that they are doing well, that they are striving and that they have a future,” says Robinson. “We want them to know that it’s also not just about college - if you’re going to a trade school or beginning your career, a plan for your future for after high school is a plan for a better you, and we are so proud of you.”

“We also want them to know that the village that raised them will be the village they can always return to,” adds Robinson. “Everyone who has helped them thrive in SFUSD - their teachers, advisors, counselors and so many others - they will be there for the next journey.”

Some of the graduating seniors and their stories can be viewed below. Congratulations, graduates!

"My name is Treasure Bender and I am graduating from Mission high school. I will be attending Sacramento State Fall 2020 to major in sociology."

Trent Andrews, graduating from Ruth Asawa San Francisco School of the Arts, Attending American University in Washington D.C. and majoring in Political Science. "I want to thank everyone, especially my family for helping me get here."

"Hello my name is Tyrek Laurent. I will be graduating from Mission High School. I run Track and play Football. I will be attending Cal State LA and I would like to major in veterinary science or film and television. "

Comments